Due to concern regarding COVID-19, the facilities listed below may not be open. Contact individual facilities directly to see if they are available to the public.
When Environment Canada issues an extreme heat or cold alert, rest areas are available to residents for relief from extreme weather conditions. These can include public buildings such as libraries or community centres during regular business hours. Other buildings such as malls or cinemas that have air conditioning/heating could also be used.
Contact your local municipality before visiting as locations and hours may be extended or limited depending on season and conditions. Hours subject to change without notice and locations may be closed on holidays.
The following are suggested locations open during normal operating hours:
City of Barrie
As of July 6, 2020, The Barrie Transit Terminal (24 Maple Ave) will be permitted as a cooling centre in case of an extreme heat alert. There will be a time limit to keep within the maximum number of people allowed at one time. Alternate options are the beaches, splash pads and air conditioned malls and retail stores in Barrie
During alerts, the following City buildings may be used:
Other locations in Barrie include:
- City Hall Rotunda, 70 Collier St - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- Barrie Transit Terminal, 24 Maple Ave - Mon-Fri 5 am-11 pm, Sat 5:30 am-11 pm, Sun 5:30 am-10 pm
- Allandale Recreation Centre at 190 Bayview Drive - Mon-Fri 6 am-9 pm, Sat 7 am-7 pm, Sun 8 am-5 pm
- East Bayfield Community Centre at 80 Livingtone St E - Mon-Fri 6 am-9:30 pm, Sat, Sun 6 am-7 pm
- Holly Community Centre at 171 Mapleton Avenue - Mon-Fri 6 am-10 pm, Sat 6 am-8 pm, Sun 6 am-7 pm
- Downtown Library: 60 Worsley St, Barrie - Mon-Thu 9:30 am-9 pm, Fri, Sat 9:30 am-5 pm, Sun 12 noon-5 pm, closed on statutory holidays and Sundays of long weekends
- Painswick Library: 48 Dean Ave - Mon 9:30 am-5 pm, Tue-Fri 9:30 am-9 pm, Sat 9:30 am-5 pm, Sun 12 noon-5 pm, closed on statutory holidays and Sundays of long weekends
Bradford West Gwillimbury(Bond Head, Bradford, Coulsons Hill, Dunkerron, Newton Robinson, Pinkerton)
- David Busby Centre 88 Mulcaster Street - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-2 pm, Sat, Sun 8:30 am-12 noon, also open Nov 15-Apr 30 - 3 pm-10 pm
- Salvation Army, Bayside Mission Centre, 16 Bayfield St - Not a drop-in centre, but will open in case of extreme weather, contact front line worker at 705-728-3737 for hours.
- Currently not available due to COVID restrictions.
During the pandemic, The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury will open the Bradford Library(425 Holland St W) as a cooling station during heat waves. It will be open Monday and Tuesday 10 am-3 pm, Thursdays 1:30 pm-7 pm, Friday and Saturday 10 am-3 pm. The cooling centres will open when the Humidex reaches 30 degrees or there is a heat warning. There are limited spots, so those who wish to use this service should come to the front door.
Clearview (Avening, Brentwood, Cashtown Corners, Devils Glen, Dunedin, Glen Huron, Lavender, Maple Valle, Mount Zion, New Lowell, Nottawa, Singhampton, Smithdale, Stayner, Sunnidale Corners)
- Bradford Library, 425 Holland Street West - Mon-Thu 9:30 am-9 pm, Fri-Sat 9:30 am-5:30 pm, Sun 1 pm-5:30 pm
- BWG Leisure Centre, 471 West Park Avenue - Summer: Mon-Thu 6 am-10 pm, Fri 6 am-8 pm, Sat-Sun 7:30 am-4 pm, Winter: Mon-Fri 6 am-10 pm, Sat, Sun 7:30 am-5 pm
click here to view website for all 3 branches
- Stayner Library, 201 Huron St - Tue-Fri 10 am-9 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm
- Creemore Library, 165 Library St - Tue-Fri 10 am-5 pm & 7 pm-9 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm,
- Sunnidale Public Library, 5237 Simcoe County Road 9, New Lowell - Tue, Fri 1 pm-6 pm, Wed-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm
For Summer 2021, two cooling stations will be available during regular business hours. Visitors must wear a mask and numbers are limited in alignment with Emergency Orders. Please exercise physical distancing while using the cooling stations.
- Collingwood Library, 55 Ste Marie St - Mon-Fri 11 am-6 pm, Sat 10 am-1 pm
- Central Park Arena, 85 Paterson St - Mon-Fri 10 am-8 pm
- Collingwood Library, 55 Ste Marie St - Mon-Thu 10 am-9 pm, Fri 10 am-8 pm, Sat 10 am-5 pm, Sun 1 pm-4 pm (no Sun hours during Jul, Aug)
- Museum, 45 St Paul Street - Tue-Fri 9:30 am-4:30 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm
- Centennial Aquatic Centre, 451 Third St - Mon-Fri 7 am-8:30 pm, Sat, Sun 8 am-4 pm
- Central Park Arena, 85 Paterson St - Mon-Fri 7 am-11 pm, Sat, Sun 8 am-10 pm
- Collingwood Transit Terminal, 100 Pine Street - Mon-Sun 6 am-9 pm
Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the designated cooling stations will not be available until further notice
(Angus, Baxter, Colwell, Egbert, Elmgrove, Ivy, Nicholston, Thornton, Utopia)
During the pandemic, Innisfil has two designated Cooling Centres that will be available during heat alerts. They are strictly for those in need of a safe space to get out of the heat. Visitors will be pre-screened for COVID-19, physical distancing will be observed. If there is heavy demand, time restrictions may apply. Facilities will be open 10 am-9 pm.
Note: The ideaLab and Library remains closed to the general public, public access will strictly be provided for those who need to get out of the heat.
- Innisfil ideaLAB & Library, Lakeshore Branch (967 Innisfil Beach Rd.)
- Innisfil ideaLAB & Library, Cookstown Branch (20 Church St.)
- Innisfil Town Hall, 2101 Innisfil Beach Road - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm, Second and Fourth Wed 8:30 am-7:30 pm, Sat 9 am-12 noon
- ideaLAB & Library Lakeshore Branch, 967 Beach Road - Tue-Fri 9:30 am-9 pm, Sat 10 am-5 pm, Sun 1 pm-5 pm
- ideaLAB & Library Churchill Branch, 2282 4th Line - Tue-Thu 3 pm-7 pm, Sat 10 am-3 pm
- ideaLAB & Library Cookstown Branch, 20 Church St - Tue-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm
- ideaLAB & Library Stroud Branch, 7883 Yonge St - Tue, Thu 10 am- 6 pm, Wed 10 am-9 pm, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm
- YMCA 1-7315 Yonge St, Innisfil - Mon-Fri 5:30 am-9 pm, Sat 7 am-5 pm, Sun 7 am-4 pm, Statutory holidays 10 am-3 pm, offers the use of their swimming pools and showers free of charge during summer
Check with the town to see if any cooling stations are available.
- Midland Public Library, 320 King St - Mon, Fri 9:30 am-6 pm, Tue-Thu 9:30 am-9 pm, Sat 9:30 am-4 pm, Sun 12 noon-4 pm, closed Sun between May Long Weekend and Sep Long Weekend
- Midland Municipal Office, 333 King St - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- North Simcoe Sports and Recreation Centre, 527 Len Self Boulevard - Mon-Sun 9 am-9 pm
- The Guesthouse, 522 Elizabeth St - Mon-Sun 6 am-7:45 am, 11 am-1 pm, 5 pm-8 pm
- New Tecumseth Recreation Centre, 300 Industrial Parkway, Alliston - Winter hours: Mon-Fri 6 am-10 pm, Sat, Sun 6 am-7 pm
- Tottenham Community and Fitness Centre, 139 Queen St North, Tottenham - Winter hours: Mon-Fri 6 am-10 pm, Sat, Sun 6 am-7 pm
- New Tecumseth Public Library- Memorial Branch, 17 Victoria St. E, Alliston - Mon 10 am-6 pm, Tue-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm
- New Tecumseth Public Library- D A Jones Branch, 42 Main St. W, Beeton - Tue-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm
- New Tecumseth Public Library- Pam Kirkpatrick Branch, 55 Queen St. S. (Tottenham Mall), Tottenham - Tue-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm
Springwater(Elmvale, Grenfel, Hillsdale, Midhurst, Minesing, Phelpston)
- Orillia City Centre 50 Andrew St S, Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- Rotary Place (Sports Complex),100 University Ave, hours vary, recommend to call to confirm - contact arena: 705-325-5332 or Rec Dept: 705-329-7250 - if no answer, contact the city: 705-325-1311, as they will staff arena during normal business hours when an extreme alert is issued if arena is not already open
- Orillia Public Library, 36 Mississaga St W, Mon-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri 10 am-6 pm, Sat 9 am-5 pm, Sun 1 pm-4 pm from the first Sunday after Labour Day until the last Sunday in April
- Barnfield Point Recreation Centre, 500 Atherley Rd, 705-325-3089 - Mon-Fri 7 am-10 pm, Sat, Sun 8 am-5 pm, hours may vary, so call to confirm
Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the designated cooling stations may not be available. Check with the town to see if any are available.
Tay(Port McNicoll, Vasey, Victoria Harbour, Waubaushene, Waverley)
- Elmvale Library, 50 Queen St W, Mon 1 pm-5 pm, Tue, Thu 10 am-7 pm, Wed, Fri 10 am-5 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm
- Midhurst Library, 12 Finlay Mill Rd, Mon 1 pm-5 pm, Tue, Thu 10 am-7 pm, Wed, Fri 10 am-5 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm
- Minesing Library, 2347 Ronald Rd, Tue 10 am-7 pm, Wed 1 pm-5 pm, Thu 1 pm-7 pm, Fri 10 am-5 pm
- Municipal office, 450 Park Street, Victoria Harbour - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- J & M Young Library, 715 4th Ave, Port McNicoll, 705-534-3511 - Tue 10:30 am-7 pm, Wed-Fri 12 noon-5 pm, Sat 10:30 am-2:30 pm
- Theo and Elaine Bernard Library, 145 Albert St, Victoria Harbour, 705-534-3581 - Tue 12 noon-5 pm, Wed, 10:30 am-7 pm, Thu-Fri 12 noon-5 pm, Sat 10:30 am-2:30 pm
- Waubaushene Branch, 17 Thiffault St, Waubaushene, 705-538-1122 - Tue 12 noon-5 pm, Thu 10:30 am-7 pm, Fri 12 noon-5 pm, Sat 10:30 am-2:30 pm
Currently the Wasaga Beach Library is not available as a designated cooling station until further notice
- Town of Wasaga Beach Municipal Office, 30 Lewis St, Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- Wasaga Stars Arena - 425 River Road West, no regular hours, call 705-429-0412 for information on hours open
- Wasaga Beach Library, 120 Glenwood Dr - Tue-Fri 10 am-8 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm, Sun 12 noon-4 pm
- RecPlex (including the YMCA), 1724 Mosley St - Mon-Fri 5:30 am-10 pm, Sat, Sun 7 am-5 pm, Statutory holidays 10 am-3 pm, water is available.
- The YMCA offers the use of their swimming pools and showers free of charge during summer. The YMCA is currently closed until further notice.