Service: Hutchison House Museum
|Record #: PET0177||Last Modified: 23 Mar 2017||Last Full Update: 08 Mar 2016|
|Description (Service)||A living museum owned and operated by the Peterborough Historical Society. Hutchison House was built in 1836-1837 for Dr. John Hutchison, one of Peterborough's first resident doctors. Sir Sandford Fleming, a second cousin, lived with the family 1845-1847. Visitors can tour the house and see the 1840s doctor's study with medical instruments, books and furnishings; the Sir Sandford Fleming room with survey equipment; Sir Fleming's original map of Peterborough and other memorabilia; Victorian parlour; the keeping room with cooking in the open hearth; period gardens planted in the style of the 1860s; and demonstration herb, vegetable, and flower cutting gardens. Costumed guides are on duty afternoons throughout the summer months.
Workshops for children and adults are held throughout the year. Special events include Haunted Halloween for Kids, "Hogmanay" Scottish New Year's and others. School and group programmes can be arranged as well as private parties, showers, weddings and celebrations for groups of all ages.
Scottish Teas are served Tuesday through Sunday afternoons during July and August. Monthly heritage lunches are served in the keeping room with open hearth during the winter months.
Staff at Hutchison House will gladly discuss bookings for a group event or Scottish Tea outside regular season.
|Hours||Office & Bookshop: June-September Tue-Fri 9 am-5 pm * October-May Mon–Fri 9 am-5 pm,
Public Tours: June-September Tues-Sun 1 pm-4:30 pm * October-May Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm
*Summer hours begin mid-June annually.
|Dates||Open year round. See seasonal hours.|
|Application||No application needed|
|Fees||Service - call for information on hosting events rates ; Admission - nominal fees for adults and kids - call for information or visit website|
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||Peterborough|
|Address & Map||
270 Brock St
Peterborough, ON K9H 2P9
|Intersection||Brock St & Bethune St|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - ground floor & terrace only - parking accessible, entrance accessible, washroom accessible|
|Toll Free Phone||1-866-743-9710|
|Primary Contact||Gale Fewings, Administrator / Curator|
|Alternate Contact||Erin Panepinto, Museum Assistant|
|Primary Executive||Dennis Carter-Edwards, President, Peterborough Historical Society; Phone: (Business) 705-740-2600; Email: email@example.com|
|Alternate Executive||Barbara McIntosh, Vice President, Peterborough Historical Society; Phone: (Business) 705-740-2600; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|