|Record #: CWD8414||Last Modified: 07 Oct 2020||Last Full Update: 12 Aug 2016|
|Description (Service)||Elder abuse is abuse against a senior, the abuse takes many different forms:
* Physical abuse
* Sexual abuse
* Financial abuse
* Psychological or emotional abuse
* Systemic Abuse such as elder discrimination
If the situation is an emergency and you believe that the person for whom you are concerned is at risk, call 911.
Support, Information, Referrals
* Elder Abuse Ontario (EAO) - Senior's Safety Line 1-866-299-1011
24 hours a day, seven days a week, in over 150 languages. The hotline is a toll-free, confidential resource for seniors suffering abuse, including financial, physical, sexual and mental abuse and neglect.
Click here for the Ontario Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
If you believe someone is no longer mentally capable of understanding their situation, and you believe that they are being harmed because they do not have enough to eat, or because their money is disappearing, you may want to call the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee. The Guardianship Investigations branch of that Office has legal authority to investigate and intervene in these kinds of situations. They may be contacted at 416-327-6348 or 1-800-366-0335.
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly - Elder Abuse 1-416-598-2656 (legal advice/ support)
Seniors crime stoppers 1-800-222-8477, Crime Stoppers
For more local resource visit www.psan-sc.ca - Prevention of seniors abuse network- Simcoe County Brochure 05/14
Reporting suspected elder abuse:
The Seniors Assistance Team, OPP ask you to call the police (OPP detachment/local police) if you suspect or know of any elder abuse.
Information and referrals:
* Ministry of the Attorney General, Victim Support Line, Ontario 1-888-579-2888
* Seniors' INFOline, Ontario 1-888-910-1999
Elder Abuse within a facility:
Long-Term Care Home
* Ministry of Long-Term Care at 1-866-434-0144
* Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority at 1-855-275-7472. To report suspected abuse of victims living in retirement homes,the abuse must be reported to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority. The Director or the Registrar must look into all reports of abuse, and must send an inspector to the home immediately if the report is about harm or risk of harm due to 1) improper or incompetent treatment or care 2) abuse of a resident by anyone 3) neglect of a resident by a staff member or the owner of the home 4) illegal conduct.
* Retirement Home Complaints Response and Information Service 1-800-361-7254. To report complaints about the operations at a retirement home and licensing breaches.
Prevention of Senior Abuse Simcoe County
Elder Abuse Prevention Muskoka
Contact: Heather Hay, Coordinator
Phone: 705-646-7677 Toll Free: 1-866-222-1224
|Eligibility||N/A for subject record|
|Application||N/A for subject record|
|Languages||English ; Interpretive Services|
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||Ontario|
|Toll Free Phone||Senior Safety Line 1-866-299-1011|
|Social Media|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/ElderAbuseOntario/
|Primary Contact||Marta Hajek, Executive Director, Elder Abuse Prevention Ontario; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alternate Contact||Raeann Rieout, Director of Partnerships & Outreach, Elder Abuse Prevention Ontario; Phone: 705-876-1122 ext 327; Email: email@example.com|